Mirroring and Grub - Revisit

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Thu Nov 11 22:04:10 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I asked a question a few weeks ago about how to get grub setup so that
if the boot disk on a server dies, the system will boot from the mirrored
drive.

I followed the instructions at:

http://www.dirigo.net/tuxTips/avoidingProblems/GrubMdMbr.php

This got grub loaded on the 2nd drive. For a test I halted the system
and unplugged the drives from the first EIDE connector. Sure enough
the system came up and booted from the 2nd EIDE buss.

I halted the system, and plugged the first EIDE back in. I then booted.
The system booted from the 2nd drive and showed all the first drive partitions
except for /boot (md0) kicked out of their arrays.

I used mdadm and added them back in and they reconstructed fine.

I then halted the system and tried booting from the first drive with the
drives on the 2nd EIDE unplugged. Now grubs hangs at loading stage 2.
It appears to want to grab the kernel from the 2nd drive and won't get it
from the first member of the raid device.

Plugging the 2nd EIDE back in got the system up and running. It appears
I have just swapped where the boot device is.

My question is what did I miss here? My grub.conf looks like this:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/md2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.521)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.521 ro root=/dev/md2 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.521.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=/dev/md2 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img

What I want is to have the system boot from either drive in case one fails.

Any assistance appreciated!

Mike