Can someone please help I have been stuck for days.

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Nov 11 22:35:42 UTC 2004

Mathew S. Nowend wrote:

> [...]
I should have mentioned also that I am trying to install FC3 (which I
get the eth0 lock up) and or FC2 (which I get the modprobe: Fatal Error:
Error inserting floppy
c/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko:No such
device). The hardware that I am trying to install this on is a Dell
Inspiron 8600 Pentium M 1.8ghz 2 gigs of RAM 60 gig hd (with xp
partition) broadcom 10/100 NIC broadcom 56k modem sgimatel audio
cdrw/dvd combo drive and a modular floppy that can also be used by USB
cable I have a nvidia gforce fx go5200 64 meg video card and a 15.4
wuxga screen. Due to the lack of ports on my laptop I am plugged into a
port replicator and I have tried both installs with and without being
plugged into the port replicator. Hope this information is helpful.

Hi Mathew.

Just for the record, it would be helpfull if you tried to use
Paragraphs, it is very difficult to read your emails, as it is all i
none line.

I get the below error message on my laptop and other machines that do
not have a floppy drive installed, it should not cause any problems. So
your FC2 installation should continue with out any problems after that
error message. If you are having problems there is liable to be some
thing else.
/lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko

About your problem with Fedora Core 3.
It sounds like the system is having problems with your network card. I
will show you how to disable your network card so that it does not try
and get "initiated" at boot, so that you can start up FC3 and then we
can start to try and trouble shoot your problem.

Start your machine, when you see the grub boot screen, hit the 'a' key,
and then type single.

This will start your machine with a text window, in "single user mode"
so no network connection.

When the text stops, type chkconfig --level 345 network off and hit return.

Now type telinit 5

This should start your laptop whiring again, and you should come to a
graphical login screen. This MAY not work, as you may need networking
for xorg (the windowing system) to work....

Try logging in, and see if every thing is running for you.

Hopefully it should start fine, once we have done this, we need to try
and work out why the network will not start.

Is it a PCMCIA network card or inbuilt?

Bring up an xterm ALT + F2, type "xterm" and hit return.

Once you have the terminal up, type lspci, and see what it says.

You should see a line talking about the network device.

If you have no network connection we are going to have to try and find a
way for you to send the data to the list, if you have a "flash dish" try
plugging that in, and saving the output to text files on that.

There is a lot of info here, I'm not sure how comfortable you are with
linux, so can you give some feed back, so that I am not rabbiting on
going over your head, or wasting time with stuff you already know :)

Lets hope we can get this sorted for you.

Doug