FC3, Sharp MM20, Synaptics touch pad

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Nov 11 23:48:52 UTC 2004

Satish Balay wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Frank wrote:
>

>>Satish Balay wrote:
>>

>>>What do you mean? FC3 already has 'synaptics' driver included - so you are
>>>overwriting this dirver?
>>>
>>>[balay at n-gage ~]$ rpm -q synaptics
>>>synaptics-0.13.5-5
>>>

>>Thanks for responding Satish .
>>
>>I tried the included driver without success.  I noted that 0.13.6 was
>>available, and the release notes cited improved kernal 2.6.9 compatibility, so
>>I downloaded it, built it, and installed it.  That all seemed to be painless.

>>>Did you copy/manually create your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? The above setting
>>>is for FC1-ish X11 - not FC2 or FC3
>>>
>>>I would sugest running system-config-display - and create a fresh
>>>xorg.conf file - and trying again.
>>>

>>When I couldn't  get the touchpad recognized, I installed using a USB mouse.
>>I have edited the xorg.conf to include touchpad  support, as per instructions
>>I found from people who had successfully installed Linux on the same model of
>>laptop that I have.  Of course they were not using FC3.  If something has
>>changed in that regard I would sure appreciate pointers!
>>
>>I have narrowed down my problem somewhat.  The driver requires device nodes
>>/dev/input/event[012], but only 0 and 1 are present.  I have created event2
>>with the correct  major/minoir numbers, but after each reboot it is gone
>>again.  Likewise I have done a "MAKEDEV psaux" and verified that it worked,
>>but after a reboot this node is also gone again.
>>
>>Under what circumstances are device nodes removed during a reboot?
>

> Don't know enough about MAKEDEV (or event[012]) - but the FC2/FC3
> change in xorg-x11 was:
>
> /dev/psaux -> /dev/input/mice
>
> And if you have multiple devices - maybe they'll appear as
> /dev/input/mouse0, mouse1 etc.
>
> You could try making this change - and see if it works. I thought
> 'system-config-*' tools configured 'synaptics' correctly (perhaps
> system-config-mouse)
>
> Satish

During the testing phase, a change was made that allowed synaptics to be
configurable by running
system-config-display --reconfig

The needed information will be inserted into the xorg.conf file. So you
were on the right track with running system-config-display on the
system. When X is restarted, the touchpad should work.

I seem to remember mention that this does not yet work for the alps
version. Checking the fedora-test-list archives might be useful to find
information.

One nice thing on my laptop during the upgrade was that the touchpad
worked while upgrading. This was a welcome feature for the installer.

Jim
Jim

--
God help the troubadour who tries to be a star.  The more that you try
to find success, the more that you will fail.