Monitor turns off on boot-up

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri Nov 12 04:38:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 16:54 -0500, Tim and Emily Wilson wrote:
> I have a compaq Presario 1200 laptop that I am trying to install FC3
> on.  However as soon as the X server starts the screen goes blank and
> never comes on again.  Is there anyway around this?
> Tim W.

Sounds like the graphical settings for your laptop are not being
detected correctly and the refresh rate is b0rked.  Try to run the
install in text mode.  At the initial setup splash screen, type:

linux text

Then you will be able to complete setup.  After setup is complete, and
the first time you boot, you will probably want to go into the boot menu
- press any key during the initial 5 second delay to get the menu.  At
the first selection, hi 'e' to edit, then edit the kernel line taking
out the 'rhgb quiet' section and adding the number '3'

This will boot you to runlevel 3 (non-GUI login), where you can run the
command 'system-configure-display --reconfig' and (hopefully) get X to
display correctly.
--
A: Because people read from top to bottom.
Q: Why is top-posting bad?