FC3, madwifi and kudzu - advice needed

Peter pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Fri Nov 12 12:14:26 UTC 2004

I just installed the current version of madwifi (compiled with a lot of
warnings, but worked)

It worked fine until I rebootet the machine. Kudzu came up, had detected
a new device to configure. OK, I let it do its job.  But afterward I had
no joy with ath0. First I had to correct a wrong entry eth1 in
/etc/modprobe.conf (as usual). Then, on system start, ath0 is loaded,
the LED is on, but as soon as the interface is configured the LED goes
off and I can't get ath0 to work anymore.

OK, I made a fresh install of FC3, installed madwifi, everything works
until a reboot and kudzu .... same scenario again.

Question: Is it save to deinstall or deactivate Kudzu after the initial
installation? Or is Kudzu needed for a running system (e.g. detecting
memory sticks inserted)?

Question: Is it worth a bugzilla entry? Madwifi is not part of Fedora
distribution and it still 0.9.... but atheros chipsets are widely used.

Thanks

Peter