Power off machine become halt only in FC3

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 13:15:26 UTC 2004

Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> After I upgraded to FC3. I found that the poweroff option because halt
> only and failed to power off my PC..
> Is there some thing wrong on me or the kernel error ?

Works for me, but...

What motherboard do you have? What chipset? How old is your BIOS?

Do you have Hyperthreading enabled or multiple processors?

Powering off implies BIOS support using either APM or ACPI. APM doesn't
work on SMP (including Hyperthreading) boards, and ACPI might be turned
off, either by a kernel option, or the kernel not liking your BIOS.

Can you post the results of
grep -i ACPI /var/log/dmesg

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | The winds, however, get very lazy that time of year;
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | they don't bother going around you, they just go