do I need SELinux?

Craig cs007fc at wowway.com
Fri Nov 12 13:54:19 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Michael A. Peters said:
> [snip]
>
>>But there are still imho too many cases where it gets in the way of
>>what the desktop user wants to do for me personally to recommend it to
>>desktop users. You can see this in posts on the test list. Some of that
>>may be user error, but it still gets in the way sometimes. Maybe by FC4.
>

> Most of the posts to the test list about SELinux lately have been about
> httpd issues (serving from users home directories, cgi scripts, etc.).  I
> would argue that the average "desktop" system wouldn't have those issues.
>
> SELinux makes just as much sense on the desktop, because it is another
> layer of permissions to keep you from making a mistake that will break
> things.

I completely agree. Remember that the default policy is "Targeted", which means that it targets
controls/apps that allow your pc to share internal info with the outside world. This kind of added
protection is always a good thing. It is important to remember that Red Hat made the decision long ago to
distribute SE Linux, not Linux. Even if they were to foray into desktop sales again, they would do so with
SE Linux, not Linux. It is the future be it server or desktop.

Craig