[FC3] synaptics touchpad doesn't work at all

Julian Mayer julianmayer at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 15:07:32 UTC 2004

hello all
i just installed FC3 on a Medion 5400 laptop (which has a synaptics
touchpad)
during the install i used a external USB mouse but since it only has
one button i wanted to get the touchpad to work (which doesn't work per
default).

it seems it is really impossible to get the synaptics touchpad working
on FC3, since kudzu doesn't see it at all:
"python
 >>> import kudzu
 >>> kudzu.probe(kudzu.CLASS_MOUSE,kudzu.BUS_UNSPEC,kudzu.PROBE_ALL)
[]
 >>> kudzu.probe(kudzu.CLASS_UNSPEC,kudzu.BUS_PSAUX,kudzu.PROBE_ALL)
[Desc:           AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Driver:         ignore
Device:         None
]"

nevertheless i've tried the following:
1. adding
  "Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "Mouse0"
  Driver "mouse"
  Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
  Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
  Option "Emulate3Buttons"
  Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
  Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
  EndSection"
to my Xorg.conf, but since /dev/psaux doesn't exist, it doesnt work

i also tried doing cd /dev;./MAKEDEV psaux
  but when i did "cat psaux" it says something like "no applicable
device found"

in /dev/input only mice and mouse0 exist, which both only respond to
the external mouse...

if i disconnect the USB mouse, mouse0 disappears...and no input source
is left

2. i've also tried adding "psmouse.proto=imps" to the grup.conf, no
success

3. select the "synaptics touchpad" in system-config-mouse and do a
system-config-display --reconfig

by reading fedoraforums.org posts i know that the touchpad worked with
FC2, whats the deal?
can anyone help me?
thanks, julian