General proc. for uninstalling software?

dale dalen at czexan.net
Fri Nov 12 16:32:17 UTC 2004

Hans Troost wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Since about a month a changed from Bill's OS's to Fedora, so I'm relatively
> new, but in the mean time learned a lot, thanks to this community.
>
> Fedora version: FC2 2.6.5-1.358smp
>
> So now with some experience I'm ready to make some personal choices about the
> program I will use in the future. So which one for mailing, one specific
> web-browser etc. etc.
> Since I'm working in the IT (but new to UNIX), I always try to keep my
> computers as clean as possible, so I now want to remove the software I do not
> longer use.
>
> Is there a general way to "uninstall" software and are there pitfalls I have
> to avoid (and how).
>
> Examples: I want to remove the whole XIMIAN stuff, I am happy with KMAIL, I
> want to remove the whole MOZILLA-suite and replace it by a web-browser-only
> program like Firefox and I want to remove a lot of other software I just
> installed to try and no longer use.
>
> My only installation experience up to now is with YUM (used update, install
> and search) and RPM -IVH. Not further experience nor in general nor with
> these programs.

Hans,
	Congrats on giving Linux a try.  I hope it works out well.  You
mentioned using yum.  Most Linux commands have man pages
(documentation).  For yum, you can run "man yum" (without quotes) at a
command prompt.  This should show that "yum remove package_name" removes
package_name.  You can also run "yum search mozilla" to see all packages
with mozilla in their name.  Then pick the packages you want to remove.
    Hope this is helpful.

Thanks,

Dale