FC3 installed with broken GRUB

Aaron VanDevender sig at netdot.net
Fri Nov 12 21:47:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 21:19 -0500, Steve Trotman wrote:
> ABIT NF7-S motherboard with one ide drive on primary master as /dev/hda
> never had any trouble with other versions of fedora or other distros.
> System was dual booting debian sarge and windows 2000 before i blew
> away debian to load fedora.  I installed FC3 and although it installed
> without error grub simply rebooted the computer briefly after it
> flashed "loading stage 2".  I booted into rescue mode off the FC3 DVD
> and chrooted into the install and ran grub-install /dev/hda.  Poof
> fixed, grub worked fine after i restarted.  Anyone know why it didn't
> take first time?  Is this a known issue?

I had the same thing happen on one of my machines. I did a fresh install
of FC3 on a machine that had FC2 on it working fine. The install went
well, but when I rebooted, grub made it to "loading stage 2" and then
began an infinite reboot cycle. Rerunning grub-install from the rescue
disk finished it, but I don't know what caused it. Maybe its an anaconda
problem, or maybe its a grub problem. It's an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard,
and the disk has 2 ext3 partitions and one swap partition. Some people
on this list mentioned earlier about a partition ordering problem that
was causing grub to hang, and this seems to be different, as it fdisk
says my partitions are in the correct order.

cya,
.sig