P4 Motherboard for File Server

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Fri Nov 12 22:58:50 UTC 2004

On Friday 12 Nov 2004 20:58, Satin Knight wrote:
> The server I'm planning on setting up is mainly for use on my Gigabit
> Ethernet LAN.  I plan on using it mainly for storage and backups.

How many machines will be accessing/backing up at once? How much data?

If just one then is possible you'd build a fast file server but find a
bottleneck on the machines it serves?

Very fast backups usually don't matter much - just run them at 4:30am and who
cares how long they take (within reason and adjust time to suit your
lifestyle)

For what it sounds like you need, just about any mobo will do the job fine.
Maybe your setup/network is bigger than I think though?