FC3, madwifi and kudzu - advice needed [Workaround]

Peter pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Sat Nov 13 08:24:55 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 12.11.2004 schrieb Satish Balay um 16:59:
> I guess you fixed the first problem in /etc/modprobe.conf (eth1 -> ath0)
>
> The second problem is - the config files created by kudzu are
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 - instead of
> ifcfg-ath0,keys-ath0
> - so move the files *eth1 -> *ath0
> - edit ifcfg-ath0 - and make change it to use DEVICE=ath0
> - if necessary run 'neat' to fix the wireless settings.

I fixed that, too. It's a problem since the first releases of madwifi
for fc1.

The problem with kudzu seems to be not only the eth1 config files. Kudzu
must do something else, which breaks the functionality of madwifi.
Unfortunately I don'nt know enough details about it.

The Workaround, which works for me, is:

-  Install madwifi as described in it's readme ( make; make install)
-  check, if the line  "alias ath0  ath_pci" is present
   in /etc/modprobe.conf
-  reboot
-  if kudzu comes up to tell you if found new atheros hardware,
   tell kudzu to *ignore* it completely, i.e. not to change
   any configuration and not to care about it in the future
-  open neat and create a new interface. With the current
   version ath0 is listed in the hardware section, so you can
   easily do that and don't need to edit the files in
   /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts etc. manually

If madwifi doesn't work, try the following:

-  undelete the files in /lib/modules/<version>/net/*
-  run depmod  -ae
-  eventually reboot
-  reinstall madwifi using the procedure above.

> The third thing you can do is edit /etc/sysconfig/hwconfig - and
> change eth1 -> ath0

Thanks for the hint. I found, if you follow the procedure above, ath0 is
included in hwconfig. Eventually you have to delete an older entry with
containing eth1

Thanks
Peter