RPM problem on FC3/x86_64

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Sat Nov 13 08:49:33 UTC 2004

Hi,

I installed FC3/x86 on my MSI K8T Neo machine, using XFS filesystem:

/dev/hda10 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /home type xfs (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /opt type xfs (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /tmp type xfs (rw)
/dev/hda11 on /usr type xfs (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /var type xfs (rw)
/dev/hda9 on /var/lib/pgsql type xfs (rw)
/dev/hda8 on /var/log type xfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

and later I did a

rpm -ivh --force mozilla*1.7.3*.i386.rpm

to be able to install and use the Sun Java and Macromedia Flash
plugins. The option --force was needed because some files of course
conflicted with the installed x86_64 packages. But the system needs
the 64 bit libraries, for e.g. firefox and others. Then

rpm -q mozilla

reported that the query would return multiple packages which I knew
already, but did not report the actual versions of these multiple
packages. Now, that I want to update all the errata and updates for FC3:

# rpm -q <any package name>
Segmentation fault

and

# rpm -Uvh <any released update package>
Segmentation fault

I thought the rpm database got corrupted and I did an

# rpm --rebuilddb

and that went OK. It did not solve the above problems.

The strange thing is that up2date could query my system and compare it
with the released updates. Now it's downloading and upgrades.

What's with the command line rpm?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi