/.autofsck ??

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Nov 13 17:35:20 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 13.11.2004 schrieb James McKenzie um 16:36:

> >After having upgraded to FC3 I am finding /.autofs files on all FC3
> >machines, I haven't notice with earlier versions of RH/FC.
> >
> >What is generating them?
> >What are they used for?
> >How to get rid of them?

> The .autofsk file is used only if you send the shutdown -F command to
> those machines.  The file itself is 'harmless' and should not be deleted
> if you plan on shutting down your systems to have a fsck performed on
> startup automatically.  The contents of the file is either the number 0
> or 1 (no or yes) and could be set by a custom built program, but this is
> not recommended results cannot be guaranteed.
>
> James McKenzie

This is not true the way you describe it.

The /.autofsck file is created by the system automatically at boot time
by the /etc/rc.sysinit script by simply touching the file. It has no
content. The logic behind it is, that if the host went down not properly
(i.e. power loss) the /etc/rc.sysinit script will find this .autofsck
file at next boot time and the system can act with a default scenario or
like configured within the file /etc/sysconfig/autofsck. If the hosts
shuts down or reboots properly, then the .autofsck file will be erased
by the /etc/init.d/halt script and no automatic filesystem check will
happen next boot. I think this answers the 3 questions by Ralf. The file
is generated by /etc/rc.sysinit, used by the system to know about no
proper shutdowns and you should leave the file as it is. There is not
any need to delete it. Btw. the /.autofsck file mechanism is used in all
Fedora releases since FC1.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 18:34:54 up 24 days, 16:14, load average: 0.14, 0.15, 0.07