Evo crashing on FC2 all of a sudden

Temlakos temlakos at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 21:01:01 UTC 2004

Let me guess: the crash occurs whenever you hit the Send/Recieve button,
or when it automatically tries to send/receive mail in the background,
doesn't it?

Same thing happened to me. Maybe now somebody'll believe me and quit
ducking the issue.

I'm using Mozilla Mail now--bagged it using Synaptic. I tried installing
Evo 2.2 (yes, I found an rpm for it), but it has too many dependencies.

Can't help you about moving the mail or the addresses--the format's all
different. Mozilla Mail uses the old ".eml" format, but Evo is strictly
XML all the way. As to the contacts, I tried opening a big VCF having
all my contacts in it, and all I would up installing were blank cards.

Anyway, I'd suggest going to bugzilla.redhat.com and leaving a comment
on Bug Number 129527. For what it's worth, do what I did: generate a
BugBuddy stack trace and leave it as an attachment to the bug. Don't
bother complaining to Ximian or Gnome--neither of them will admit that
the problem is with their code. Actually, the problem is that the
combination breaks with a revision of the library. I guess sometimes
dynamically linked libraries don't work. Though they should. (And how
come Mozilla's mail client doesn't suffer from the same problem?)

What keeps happening is that Evo is too sensitive to changes in glibc.
Two days ago Gnome changed glibc, and when the Red Hat Network
distributed it to all Fedora Core users, and they installed it, Evo croaked.

You have to do *something*, because if your problem is anything like
mine, Evo is useless to you now. You gotta move.

Temlakos