Evo crashing on FC2 all of a sudden

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Sat Nov 13 21:44:36 UTC 2004

On 11/13/2004 09:39 PM, Dick Roth wrote:
> Thought about moving to Thunderbird, but moving the mail and addresses
> looks like a major project.

I solved this problem by using an IMAP server. I had for a time pondered
the idea of setting up an IMAP server at home to be able to use whatever
mailer I wanted. The server that also serves IMAP fetches mail from
different e-mail accounts, the mail is filtered with procmail (that also
calls spamassassin to get rid of spams, and clamav to get rid of mails
containing MS-Windows viruses) and then put into appropriate folders.
Dovecot then serves these folders using IMAP. By doing this, I can use
whatever mailer I want, using whatever operating system I want. All my
mails are stored in one place, the IMAP-server.

What has this do with your question? Well, one way to move mail between
two mailers is to use a IMAP server. You upload the mails from Evolution
to the IMAP server, and then downloads them into Thunderbird.

If you have a spare computer to act as an IMAP server that could be an
option, and you could switch between Evolution, Thunderbird, Balsa,
mutt, or whatever you fancy.

A very condensed information about my system can be found at
http://www.sm6rpz.se/mailserver.html

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>