Hotplug not hotplugging.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Nov 14 04:47:22 UTC 2004

I just got around with playing with the USB ports on my generic laptop from
LAC that's running FC2+kernel 2.6.8-1.521

If I have my camera plugged in when FC2 boots, I can open and use the camera
just fine.  lsusb sees a Sony camera.  When I pull it out, usb-storage gets
properly deregistered, as it should.

If I plug the camera in after the kernel boots, nothing happens.  Zilch. No
kernel messages, nothing whatsoever.  The camera does see the cable
connection, and flips over to USB mode as soon as the cable's connected, but
nothing happens on the Linux side.  lsusb shows nothing.  I see nothing
happening in /proc/bus/usb.  When I reboot, the camera is accessible again.

Where do I need to look?