FC 3 Woes continue...

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Nov 14 05:01:54 UTC 2004

Kevin Old wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:07:12 +0000, Douglas Furlong
> <douglas.furlong at firebox.com> wrote:

>>>Thanks, I've downloaded the udev "fix" and rebooted and nothing is
>>>fixed.  I still can't get connected to my network.
>>
>>Would you actually like to provide some information?
>>
>>Or just carry on telling us it doesn't work? I mean, basicaly, with the
>>question you've given, and the detail, the equal response would be "fix
>>it" then it won't be broken any more.
>>
>>Is your network card recognised? What is your network card? built in,
>>pcmcia?
>>
>>When you plug the card in, do you see a link light come on?
>>
>>What does dmesg provide?
>>
>>Come on man, be reasonable.
>

> Sorry, I should have continued the thread rather than creating a new
> one  with a more appropriate subject "iptables still seems active even
> after disabled in FC 3".
>
> This morning I found the post "can't get through dhcp after upgrade"
> and this is exactly the problem I'm having.
>
> My network card is built-in my laptop and does not have a light.
>
> I've tried both static IP assignments and DHCP.  DHCP always fails to
> get an IP.  The static IP is "assigned" according to "/sbin/ifconfig",
> but I can't use any port.
>
> One note is that I disabled SELinux and Firewall in setup.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Kevin

Kevin,

Can you run /sbin/lspci and post the portion regarding your network card?

There are issues with pcmcia and the order that the network card is
loaded. Since you have a built-in ethernet, this is not likely.

The other issue that comes to mind is ipv6. I believe this might be an
issue.

My idea is for you to open up system-config-network and see what type of
device that kudzu might have detected. you might need to see if you can
change some settings regarding the automatically discovery of your
nameserver.

Can you ping the box from another computer with a static address? Does
your computer get a dhcp address assigned if you have a router that uses
dhcp? What does /etc/resolv.conf list as your nameserver? There should
be the name of the server and a few ip address listings. Without a
listing within this file, you are pretty much not able to connect to the
web. you should stll be able to ping the computer from another on your
network.

I hope this leads you to some resolution or you can provide more useful
info for others to give you some feedback.

Regards,

Jim