Possible ODBC packaging bug?

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Sun Nov 14 20:34:56 UTC 2004

I just ran into this while installing the java-1.5.0-sun-jdbc package
from JPackage.  (Despite the confusing name, this package contains the
JDBC-ODBC bridge; it's not required when using a database-specific JDBC
driver.)

java-1.5.0-sun-jdbc requires /usr/lib/libodbcinst.so.

/usr/lib/libodbcinst.so is part of unixODBC-devel, but it is just a
symlink to /usr/lib/libodbcinst.so.1.0.0, which is part of unixODBC.

So I had to install unixODBC-devel, just to get this symlink -- which
doesn't seem quite right to me.

Any thoughts on whether this is an ODBC packaging bug (i.e. the symlink
should be part of the unixODBC package) or a JPackage bug?

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net