Updating a kernel and ext3

Ali Hussnain Shah hussnain_shah at gmx.net
Sun Nov 14 22:59:20 UTC 2004

hi James,
>>i have switched successfully from debian to fedora2-x86_64 . afterwards
>>i have updated my distro kernel from 2.6.5-1.358 to 2.6.8-1.521 with
>>redhat update manager. Now whenever i boot with 2.6.8 the kernel boots
>>root ext3 filesystem as ext2
>

> How do you know it's being mounted as ext2?

first, because doing automount in booting process there is a warning
that mount was not successfull with ext3. secondly, i have learnt from
this list that ext3 has only one additional kind of table compared with
ext2 .. so they a ext2 driver could read ext3 too. third, i X was
started successfully.

> Note that there are two root filesystems: one for the early bootup
> environment (populated from the initrd file). That one *is* mounted as
> ext2, since it isn't supposed to be changed: its contents will be thrown
> away and recreated at next boot from the initrd file.
>
> What does the output of mount tell you?
>

>>and kudzu wants to uninstall some hardware
>>devices, so currently i have to switch back to 2.6.5.
>

> Which devices?

like my Philips webcam and sata controller driven by nvidia native
driver, which are installed for the older kernel 2.6.5.

will take another try if the situation has changed ..

regards and thanks
hussnain