Telinit Problem

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 23:27:21 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:18:18 -0500, Carl Lucas <clucas at adelphia.net> wrote:
> Jonathan Berry wrote:
> >Hi Carl,
> >
> >On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:59:17 -0500, Carl Lucas <clucas at adelphia.net> wrote:
> >

> >>I wanted to install the nvidia video driver and have been flummoxed in
> >>the first step!!
> >>
> >>I log in as "Root" and then open a terminal. I enter "telinit 3" and am
> >>greeted with a blank sreen. I press a key and there are 4 lines and then
> >>nothing. I have to reboot to get out of it. Here are the lines:
> >>
> >>starting
> >>pcmcia:                                                          [ok]
> >>starting irqbalance:
> >>[ok]
> >>starting automount: no mounpoints defined:               [ok]
> >>starting
> >>anacron:                                                         [ok]
> >>
> >>I realize these are the steps that occur when booting but why does it stop?
> >
> >Try this:
> >Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to a terminal screen, not an X terminal
> >Login as root
> >telinit 3
> >Hit enter a few times to reprint the prompt
> >
> >That should get you started.
> >
> >Jonathan
>
> Tried as you suggested but get the same result!!

Really?  That is quite strange.  You could try using "init 3" instead
and see if that works any better.
Or you can do this.  Reboot, and at the grub boot prompt press 'e'
while on the Fedora option.  Go down to the second line and press 'e'
again.  Type " 3" at the end of the line (make sure there is a space
between the '3' and the last option).  This will cause you to boot
into run level 3.  Then you should be able to install nVidia drivers.
Don't forget to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and (if you are using FC3)
cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
before you reboot.  Hope this helps.

Jonathan

PS Be sure you are sending to the list as well.