modem and cd writer issues

David Barnsdale db003q3287 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 12:43:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 08:52, sumeet kapoor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to linux. I installed Fedora core 2. Its working fine.
> However, it is not finding my d-link DFM-560I+++  internal modem. Its
> running beautifully with windows 2000.

The basic problem is that modern internal modems
use software for stuff that was done in the past
by hardware.  Further the manufacturers often
assume that it is enough to produce drivers for
windows and ignore Linux - so much so they are often
called "Winmodems".

My problem was solved when the manufacturer of my
computer produced a driver about a year after
I'd originally bought the computer.  Hence do
check the homepage of the modem manufacturer as
a Linux driver may now be available.

Failing that, search for "Linmodem" and also look
for a program scanModem.

David