OT: Launch.com music videos under Mozilla and Linux

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Nov 15 16:37:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Gerald Thompson wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I kind of like watching music videos on the web and was thinking that we
> seriously need to start putting some market pressure on Yahoo to make
> Launch.com work on Mozilla and Firefox under Windows, and even pressure them
> to switch to real media format so that the videos will work on Linux.  (They
> will never switch to an open source media format so forget that right now,
> Real Player 10 works fine on Linux so if they switch to Real Media they will
> be able to hit the Windows audience, Mac audience, and Linux audience all at
> the same time.)

uh... your memory's pretty short... yahoo's media streaming assests came
when they aquired broadcast.com march 31 99. At that point they delivered
stuff in real quicktime and asf, hell they even delivered so of the
streams over ip multicast. since then they've been focused on what drives
revenue towards them. If it doesn't work for you it's likely because
you're not their target audience.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu