which version of yum to use for FC3/+ Sound Card problems?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Nov 15 19:41:09 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 15.11.2004 schrieb KIMARIO FAWKES um 20:21:

> I am a newbie at linux and i want to add the various apps and plug
> in's  and from my basic reading i found that to update package
> everybody is using yum instead of current and up2date. cool. the
> problem is i don't see a stable version of yum for FC3? Is the a way

Fedora Core 3 comes with yum, which is stable and the proper tool. Just
use it. Best is to customize it's configuration to use near by mirror
servers as source for installs and updates.

>  get around dis problem? what can i use. And is there a good how to
> link for yum (cuz dis all new to me, so what may be trival to must is
> a bit harder for me)   ps i am have problems with my sound card and
> FC3, FC3 dectects it for i don't hear any think form the speakers
> 1. what way to slove dis problem? 2.If i need to buy a new sound card
> what is a good one for Linux Fedora?

Use "system-config-soundcard". Check your mixer settings (alsamixer) to
be sure nothing is muted. If you can't help yourself then please provide
more information about your hardware. The "/sbin/lspci" output can help.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 20:39:15 up 26 days, 18:18, load average: 0.40, 0.42, 0.35