GDM Text Size -- Was: Re: FC3 questions - login screen, sound card

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Nov 15 20:36:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 15:25 -0500, Drew, Bill wrote:
> > # system-config-display

> My resolution is set to 800 by 600.  The log looks fine in the opening
> screen of the login.  I had no problem with this in FC1 or FC2.  What
> has changed?  This looks like a bug!

My KDS laptop does the exact opposite.  All text on the login screen is
printed with 3 inch tall letters.  The cause, in my case, is that the
monitor reports ridiculous physical display dimensions.  So I used a
ruler that measures in millimeters and measured the height and width of
the display.  In the Monitor section of xorg.conf you would add
something like "DisplaySize 406 325"

In FC1 redhat-config-xfree86 allowed you to manually set the display
dimensions.  For whatever reason advanced display options were removed
in FC2.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/