New to Fedora

Joe Giles jgiles at joeman1.com
Tue Nov 16 04:34:11 UTC 2004

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>Hi
>

>>I have a couple of questions I would like to ask if you could spare a
>>moment of your time...
>>
>>1. Once Fedora is installed, and a new version comes out (Say "Fedora
>>4"), will updating my system using up2date or yum install the current
>>packages for the new version on my system; thereby updating the system
>>with the same new software as the new release ("Fedora 4")? I like to
>>keep my systems around for a while and don't like to reload the OS very
>>often.
>>

>this wont be done automatically. using up2date or yum to upgrade to
>the next release is not "supported" but its possible to update
>fedora-release and then do a live update which works for me. fedora
>releases are supported till a next release is made. fc1 was dropped
>for upgrades from redhat when fc3 test 2 was made available. security
>and bug fixes are still being done by fedoralegacy(.org) project
>

>>2. Does the RPM package manager still suffer issues with dependencies as
>>it used to? Example... Trying to install "Package 1" reveals Dependant
>>packages needing to be installed, reveling yet more packages that need
>>to be installed to satisfy the last Dependant package; wash, rinse, and
>>repeat. Will up2date and/or yum take care of these dependencys for you now?
>>

>up2date and yum solves dependencies automatically for you. apt4rpm is
>also available elsewhere. you can add various repositories to
>up2date(which supports both yum and apt repositories) and install
>third party software not directly provided by fedora itself. there are
>plans to form a coherent big repository as fedora extras and
>alternatives.
>
>regards
>Rahul Sundaram

You mentioned that all you do is change the fedora-release and do a live
update. Are you referring to the fedora-release file in /etc? If so, all
you do is change that to the current version and then do an up2date or
yum? Or is there another "Live Update" you are referring too?

Thanks for the replies!!!!

Joe