Time required in installation of Fedora Core 3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 16 08:26:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 17:49 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Jon Savage wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:55:01 +0800, Wong Kwok-hon <kwokhon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Hello!
> >>
> >>How much time would it take when perform a fresh install in Fedora Core 3 ?
> >>
> >>I mean I need to delete the old Fedora Core 2 partition and install.
> >
> > So far I've installed FC3 on 3 slowish laptops (PIII 600) each took
> > around 30 minutes to complete  from inserting CD 1 to firstboot. The
> > faster desktop (2.4 GHz) took a little less time, just under 23
> > minutes. Add a good 15-20 minutes to that figure if you need to do
> > mediacheck on the install discs. This was for a workstation install w/
> > some stuff deselected.

We must have different opinions on what constitutes "slowish" ;-)

Over the weekend I upgraded my old print/file server from FC2 to FC3.
It's an AMD K6 200MHz with 128M RAM. It was an NFS install from a much
faster machine, with a 100-BaseTX network between the two. It's a custom
install, installing around 1.3GB of updated packages. It took around 2.5
hours. Then another half hour or so to install the errata packages and a
hour or so to go through the upgrade.log and fix up all the
configuration files that needed it (anything where a .rpmsave or .rpmnew
was mentioned).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>