Yup, it's definitely fedora's fault, not my hardware.

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Tue Nov 16 12:35:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 07:20 -0500, Paul Tomblin wrote:
<sniped>

> One interesting thing - somebody on Slashdot told me that there is a
> problem with HAL and udev if you have a CD-ROM and a hard drive on the
> same controller - HAL polls the CD-ROM and while it's timing out, the
> hard drive doesn't respond to requests, which causes the sort of
> errors I saw.

There is a long talk on the test mailing list about this (it started up
before FC3 went final, and it stayed there. You may be able to get some
assistance from there.

>   The file Documentation/ide.txt in the 2.4 kernel
> distinctly recommends that you put your two hard drives on separate
> IDE controllers, and put your CD-ROM as a slave on the same controller
> as one of your hard drives, which is how I've always done it.
> However, the same file in the 2.6 kernel suggests not mixing device
> types on the same controller.  I think I'm going to have to buy
> another IDE controller and see if I have better luck with the CD-ROM
> on hde.

Can you not just unplug your systems cd-rom drive and see if you get
that performance back? This would be a quicker and cheaper initial test
then buying new hardware?

I always thought it was bad to have a  CD-ROM on the same bus as a hard
drive as the overall speed of the bus dropped to that of the slowest
common denominator (the cdrom drive).

And of course having two hard drives on the same IDE bus, was also bad
as you shared the bus resources and could not access both drives at the
same time.

Thankfully SATA resolves these problems, as there is only one device per
bus...
--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator