Yum problem after update on FC-3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 16 13:42:42 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anyway, I'll wait patiently for a new version of python to come out.
> Surely if there serious errors in the last version
> there should be a replacement soon?
> I assume rpm will work with the "bad" python ...

I'll be very surprised if python-2.4 turns up as an errata update for
python-2.3 based FC3. There may be an updated 2.3 RPM, but since you have 2.4
installed already, your system won't use it.

You could try downgrading back to FC3 as follows:

1. Get the python 2.3 RPM from the your FC3 install media
(python-2.3.4-11.i386.rpm) and put it in a temporary directory (e.g.
/tmp/downgrade)

2. Attempt to downgrade to it:
rpm -Uvh --oldpackage /tmp/downgrade/*.rpm

3. Step 2 will likely result in a bunch of dependency issues, e.g.
    python = 2.4.x-y is needed by (installed) python-devel-2.4.x-y.i386

4. For each of the packages named as dependencies, get the FC3 version of that
package from your FC3 install media and put it in your temporary directory.

Paul.