Postfix smtpd killed by signal 11: bad command startup

Jonas De Vuyst jdevuyst at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 20:05:18 UTC 2004

Hi,

A kind person sent me an e-mail explaining how they solved a Postfix
problem similar to one that I had last month when upgrading from FC1
to FC2 and about which I sent an e-mail to this list at the time. As I
myself had spent quite some time looking for the problem before (with
help from postfix-users) I figured out how to fix it, I think that it
would only be polite to update this list with an explanation. So,
forgive the tardiness, here it is.

The problem that causes the symptoms quoted below turned out to be
some missing files in /var/spool/postfix/ that Postfix needs if smtpd
is run in chroot mode.

One solution (used by the person whose e-mail prompted me to write
this) is to disable the chroot option in /etc/postfix/master.cf as
follows:

smtp    inet    n       -       n       -       -       smtpd

An alternative solution, which I used, is to copy the missing files to
/var/spool/postfix. In particular this meant deleting
/var/spool/postfix/etc which was a regular file (this somehow worked
fine on FC1), copying host.conf and resolv.conf from /etc/ to
/var/spool/postfix/etc, and lastly copying /usr/lib/libnss_dns.so.2 to
/var/spool/postfix/usr/lib.

Regards