Problems while upgrading to FC3

Michal Lijowski michal at cvu.wustl.edu
Tue Nov 16 20:23:20 UTC 2004

I have upgraded from FC2 to FC3, but I have encountered problem
when logging as a user using Gnome.
 When I login I get the message

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correct
ly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Child process did not give an error message, unknown failure occurred

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log
in.

The Main Menu does not work. When I left click it the whole panel blinks
and there is no menu. So, in order to logoff I had to do reboot.
I have followed http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-
November/msg01805.html, but this did not work when I logon again.

If I logon as root, Gnome starts without problems.

One more thing, when I invoke gedit as user I get the message

 gedit: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.0: undefined
symbol: xmlNewTextReaderFilename and gedit won't open.
When I am logon as root, gedit start with no problem.

I can start KDE desktop as the user without any error messages.

Thanks,

Michal