failure to boot

Gerhard H. W. May g.may at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 11:09:57 UTC 2004

> James Wilkinson suggested:
>
> You might as well switch back the # IDE: it won't make much difference.
>
> Take a look at lines 209 to 216:
>
>> echo -n $" audio"
>>
>> # Everything else (duck and cover)
>> for module in $other ; do
>>     load_module $module
>> done
>>
>> echo -n $" done"
>
> "echo" displays things on screen. You can see the "audio" coming up,
> but
> not the "done". (They're using pretty massive indirection here, which
> is what's getting me confused).
>
> So can you put something like
> echo "other is $other"
> at about line 209. And take a look at what else is being loaded.

Done that. It displays:

"other is snd-intel8x0m i8xx_tco hw_random uhci-hcd uhci-hcd
yenta_socket yenta_socket yenta_socket"

But then it hangs.

> Actually, you might try just commenting out lines 212 to 214: depending
> on exactly what is in $other, you'll probably lose some functionality,
> but you might get further.

Done that (left the echo "other is $other" in). It gets past the "other
etc." line I wrote above, then prints
[ok] done

Then flashes up some more messages which are too fast for me to see (is
there a way of slowing this down or scrolling through it afterwards?),
then goes into that graphical launcher with the image of a computer. It
hangs at the line

"Starting pcmcia:"

That made me somewhat suspicious and I took the D-Link DWL-660 wireless
card out of the pcmcia slot and repeated the procedure. However, same
result. By the way, I don't have the machine connected to the internet
while doing all that, I hope that is acceptable.

> Failing that, around there you can put
> echo "got here"
> lines pretty well where you want. See if you can tell exactly which
> line
> causes the boot script to fail.

I added 'echo' statement so that the script now reads:

---------------------------
# Everything else (duck and cover)
echo -n " done that number 1"
for module in $other ; do
echo -n " done that number 2"
     load_module $module >/dev/null 2>&1
echo -n " done that number 3"
done
echo -n " done that number 4"

echo -n $" done"

When starting up, it prints 'done that number 1', then 5 times 'done
that number 2 done that number 3', and then another 'done that number
2' before it hangs. By my count that is when it gets to the first
'yenta-socket' in $module. What is 'yenta-socket' and what does it do?

Thanks for your help.

Gerhard