LVM is installed by default in Fedora Core 3??

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Nov 17 11:12:19 UTC 2004

Mostafa Z. Afgani wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
> | Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> |
> |> Would someone tell me that is the LVM is installed by default in
> |> fedora core 3?
> |> Can I un-tick it when install? Or remove when it is installed ?
> |> Because all software is in same harddisk.
> |

> | FC3 uses LVM2 by default. Why would you not want it? It's very useful.
> |
> | Paul.
> |
> Hello Paul,
>
> How exactly is it useful? I'm completely new to LVM...

Well, for example, suppose you run out of disk space. With LVM you can just
add another disk, set it up as an LVM physical volume and then extend your
existing volume group to include the new disk. You can then extend the size of
your existing logical volumes to use the additional space. In effect, your
original disk becomes the sum of the two disks. Much easier than all the
shuffling around of data into different partitions that you'd need to do to
add an additional disk without using LVM.

See also http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/whatisvolman.html

Paul.