Courier-0.47 RPMBuild error

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Nov 17 12:24:22 UTC 2004

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Paul Howarth writes:
>> However, bearing in mind the "Absolute symlinks hell!!" thread, this may
>> be storing up trouble for the future (system upgrade time) if anaconda
>> can't handle absolute symlinks.
>

> If Anaconda can't handle absolute symlinks, then anaconda simply needs
> to be fixed.

When doing an upgrade, anaconda mounts all the filesystems under
/mnt/sysimage. So, supposing you just have one big filesystem and an absolute
link /usr/tmp -> /var/tmp; in anaconda, this will be /mnt/sysimage/usr/tmp ->
/var/tmp. With a relative link /usr/tmp -> ../var/tmp, in anaconda this will
be /mnt/sysimage/usr/tmp -> ../var/tmp. So, anything that gets installed into
/usr/tmp in *any* package will, in the case of an absolute link, get installed
into /var/tmp in the installer's filesystem and will hence disappear after a
reboot. With the relative link, it'll just work.

I'd be interested to hear suggestions about how anaconda could avoid this problem.

Paul.