fstab-sync

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 17:36:22 UTC 2004

Hi
> The question is: Is there some howto type document that a guy can used
> to get started with this system?
>
> The task at hand is that I have a USB drive that it wants to put at
> /media/USB_DISK.  I really want to have it at /mnt/usb, but, since I'm
> trying to give this whole thing a shot, I'd settle for /media/usb.

ok. I will try and collect some documentation on this. I expect
reading the docs at freedesktop.org when it comes up again.

Meanwhile a few things to know and try

The change from /mnt to /media for usb,floppy and cdrom drives is part
of the FHS 2.3 specification

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#MEDIAMOUNTPOINT

Udev seems to be following rules as specified in

/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules

specifically  this line "BUS="usb", KERNEL="lp[0-9]*", NAME="usb/%k"
where %k is  unique identifier used for persistent naming.

HAL uses
/usr/share/hal/fdi/90defaultpolicy/storage-policy.fdi which can be
copied over to /usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy and the key
"storage.policy.default.mount_root" changed from /media to /mnt if
required.

Disclaimer:there might be much better ways to do this and I am typing
all this on blind guesses and dont have a usb disk to test this.
backup files before changing stuff and dont blame me if everything
breaks but I welcome any credit :-)

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram