PCI card not being detected

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 17:54:35 UTC 2004

Paul Kopacz wrote:
> I have a problem that I think is hardware based, but since people here
> seem to know something about everything, I thought someone might be
> able to give me some advice:
>
> I have a PCI modem which I have attempted to install into a box with
> an ECS P6LX-A+ motherboard.  This computer does not seem to detect
> this card (as in lspci does not list the card).

Many BIOSes will list PCI cards they've detected immediately before
handing over control to the bootloader. The bootloader will often put up
its own display, so you don't get to see this.

Do I understand that all your hard drives are SCSI? Pull the SCSI card,
and see if you get a list of PCI devices. See if that card is in there:
the device numbers will be those reported by lspci -n if you stick it in
a computer that *does* recognise it.

Have you ever flashed the BIOS on this motherboard?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "!" sez I.  And "?".  After a few speechless seconds
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | I come out with "%^&*".  Unless I come up with