scripts won't execute

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 20:02:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:50:17 -0800, Andrew B. Young
<andrew_b_young at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I'm stumped.  I have two separate script files that are *identical*,
> but one executes as expected, the other does nothing.  The only
> difference between the two is how they were created.  The one that
> does execute was created in /root and then moved to /var/www/cgi-bin.
> The one that does not execute was created directly in
> /var/www/cgi-bin.  Why should this cause a difference?  Here are some
> details.

if you have FC3 this is the result of selinux. the one created in the
cgi-bin directory has been created with the right security context.
the one which has been created outside the domain of apache has the
wrong security context. to confim this  type ls -Z on that directory
and see the difference in the context. to fix this run
restorecon -v /path/to/file.

You can take a look the faq here

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/

--