sata disk recognised - but can't mount

Simon Schori duke3000 at bluewin.ch
Wed Nov 17 20:44:19 UTC 2004

>I trust you mean "mke2fs" here, and not simply marking the partition type.
>
>Options preceed arguments. Try this:
>
>	mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/sata150gb
The mount command accepts the fs type before or after the paths, I tried
both, also without fs indication.

Fedora comp = server
Windows comp = workstation

In fact I did a 'mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda1'. This ended in a total system crash.
I tried twice, and also with Knoppix (Kernel 2.4 and 2.6), but no goal. So
I formatted it the Windows computer with Arconis Partition Expert (yes it
does ext3 as well). But it was still unmountable.

Tomorrow I'll try it with Knoppix on the workstation, it has a Silicon Image
SATA controller onboard (Abit NF7-S 2.0). So I'll see if the Promise controller
is the troublemaker.

Another strange thing is: "unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology,
Inc. PDC20375" - I thought the tx2 should be supported by the module sata_pomise
(which is loaded). The drivers available at Promise's website is for Kernel
2.4 only. Should I update my atalib to the most recent version? Maybe there
are som e options I have to change in my Kernel's config and recompile?

Simon

some german description of my server is on http://213.239.195.162/board/thread.php?threadid=20166