scripts won't execute

Andrew B. Young andrew_b_young at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 17 23:13:14 UTC 2004

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:50:17 -0800, Andrew B. Young
><andrew_b_young at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm stumped.  I have two separate script files that are *identical*,
>>but one executes as expected, the other does nothing.  The only
>>difference between the two is how they were created.  The one that
>>does execute was created in /root and then moved to /var/www/cgi-bin.
>>The one that does not execute was created directly in
>>/var/www/cgi-bin.  Why should this cause a difference?  Here are some
>>details.
>>

>if you have FC3 this is the result of selinux. the one created in the
>cgi-bin directory has been created with the right security context.
>the one which has been created outside the domain of apache has the
>wrong security context. to confim this  type ls -Z on that directory
>and see the difference in the context. to fix this run
>restorecon -v /path/to/file.
>
>You can take a look the faq here
>
>http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/

Thanks Rahul.  SELinux is the cause.
Others, Thanks for the other suggestions, e.g. md5sum & xxd

I tried restorecon -v /path/to/file, but that didn't solve the problem.
It did
lead to identical listings from 'ls -Z'--identical to htsearch, which
does run.

For now I disabled SELinux; its more than I wish to learn about now.

-andyy