List etiquette question

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Nov 18 01:10:22 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 18.11.2004 schrieb Drew, Bill um 1:20:

> I have noticed something different on a couple of linux lists in the way
> people write replies to messages.
> The replies are always at the bottom after the quoted part of the
> earlier message.  This is no the rule on the many other lists I
> subscribe to.  I am more curious as to why this is the case.  This is
> not a complaint at all.
>
> Bill Drew

Following 2 links which explains why top-posting is a hurdle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Top-posting_or_bottom-posting

Of course it is not wanted that the poster shall put his new comment
below the previous text without stripping the quotes reasonable. It is
even a pain to have a mail from long discussion and you scroll through
100 lines of quotes and then get a single comment line by the poster.
Don't forget that you easily get the previous discussion context by
letting your mail client sort the list in "thread view". Strip down the
quotes to the part you want to reply to. This makes it easy for others
to quickly see what you have to say. Even in discussions with a lot of
participants and lots of single mails. Top-poster nearly never strip the
quotation and then you can puzzle to find out for which part of the
previous mail you read an answer or contrary argument.

Regards

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 02:06:01 up 3:51, 16 users, 0.60, 0.62, 0.90