clamassassin with call to clamav software corrupts mail

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Nov 18 01:28:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 16:46 -0800, Richard E Miles wrote:
> I found out that clamassassin does not cause duplicate mail messages because
> even if I commented out the .procmailrc rule I still experienced the
> duplicate mail messages. I have since updated clamassassin to version 2.2 and
> have modified my .procmailrc rules to reflect Alexander Dolloz
> suggestions. I found out that the duplicate mail generation occurs if I
> leave fetchmail running for an hour or more. I don't know why. I find if
> I stop fetchmail after a lull in receiving messages that I don't experience
> the duplicate mail messages. I am puzzled by this. I will once more show you
> my .procmailrc file after I have made the corrections. If you see something
> amiss please let me know.

I leave fetchmail running constantly, but it runs in daemon mode.
When it completes a download it then deletes the downloaded messages
from the server, then waits and restarts a new session.

IIRC the pop3/imap protocols work similarly.  The server marks for
deletion during the session but does not actually do the delete until
the session ends. This seems like it may be your problem. If the session
never ends they never get deleted.  And a new fetch command will
download the same messages again.

Try running fetchmail in daemon mode

This is not likely related to procmail, but to fetchmail.