Dump/restore

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 18 10:07:33 UTC 2004

Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> I reinstall it back and perform a manually partiton and ok...
> I wonder that the installer is forced all to use LVM2 even a single
> harddisk and without asking...

As you have discovered, the installer does *not* *force* you to use LVM. It
uses LVM by default because it's more flexible than standard partitions and is
without doubt the way to go for the future. As for you only having a single
disk, the great advantage of LVM is that should you decide some time later to
add another disk, with LVM you can extend your *existing* filesystems on to
that new disk. You can't do that with a "traditional" partitioning scheme.

Paul.