How to share a common partition as home

Parameshwara Bhat pbhat at ongc.net
Thu Nov 18 08:14:54 UTC 2004

Hello list,

I try different distros of Linux on different partitions from time to
time. I want to move all my /home folders to a common partition so that
across all distros I can share it by mounting on home. When I implemented
it,I faced a problem. users do not get write permission on this  partition
in spite of specific option to that effect in fstab.

/dev/hdb6            /home                ext3
defaults,users,acl,user_xattr        1 2

I get the same error in all distributions. I cannot launch DM in user
account as there is no write permission available.

Could somebody point out where is the mistake ?

Thanking in advance,

Paramehswara Bhat