Nautilus confused about mountable media

gemi at bluewin.ch gemi at bluewin.ch
Thu Nov 18 10:42:08 UTC 2004

I have the following scenario:

In fstab is an entry:
LABEL=Archive   /mnt/Archive            ext3    noauto,user,owner       0
2

In the Computer Nautilus window this appears as an unmounted harddisk icon
with the name "Archive".
When I click on the icon, the volume is mounted and a new Nautilus window
with
the contents of /mnt/Archive appears.
So far so good.

However:
1. The icon in the Nautilus window doesn't change to the mounted state. If
I close
the window and open it again, it then IS shown in the mounted state.
2. No Desktop icon appears. In GNOME 2.6 this would be the case, and it is
what I would expect. However sometimes (in another session), such an icon
DOES appear.
3. I have another entry:
LABEL=Store /mnt/Store  ext3    noauto,user,owner,acl,user_xattr        0
2
The same applies here. However it sometimes happens that I cannot unmount
Store, a warning popping up, that the device is busy, but there are no processes
that use the device.

There is also a problem with the cdrom:
1. I put a CD-ROM in the drive and wait a little.
2. Then I click on the CD-ROM icon in the Nautilus Computer window.
3. A warning pops up, that says that the CD-ROM is already mounted
4. An icon is put on the Desktop ON TOP of an existing icon.
This is not fatal, but annoying to say the least.