List etiquette question

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 13:40:24 UTC 2004

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> (normal mail, mailing lists, news groups).  New Microsoft's product
> Outlook Express defaulted to placing cursor above quoted text, and
> default formatting of quoted text was such that it was hard for a user
> to write reply in normal and logical way (after the text (s)he was
> replaying to).  Consecvently, users were

Paul Tomblin replied:
> As a friend of mine says: putting your new text at the beginning just
> because that's where your cursor is, is like shitting your pants
> because that's where your asshole is.

The unfortunate thing is that I find putting the "focus" at the top of
the message *is* the most efficient thing to do for users who *can*
quote properly.

That way, they can scan down through the message, deleting text that is
irrelevant, and the "focus" is then at the right place for them to reply
to relevant text.

Sorry about the upgrade problems you had, Paul, by the way...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | When did you last back up your system?
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |