NFS mounts in /etc/fstab

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Nov 18 15:49:06 UTC 2004

Greg Wildman wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 20:39 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
>
>>I have two filesystems defined in /etc/fstab that are mounted over NFS (let call
>>them /foo and /bar).  During boot, the first mount (/foo) fails, and the second
>>(/bar) is mounted OK.  After the machine is up and running, if I log in as root
>>and type mount /foo, it mounts OK.
>
> Have you defined the NFS mounts to mount automatically. If so, don't
> make sure the last 2 fields are '0 0' and enable the netfs service
>
>   /sbin/chkconfig netfs on

Greg, thanks for your answer.  However, as far as configuration on NFS
client (my PC), everything is in good order.  Configuration on server is
also good (both file systems exported in exactly the same way).  Netfs
service is enabled, and basically my fstab looks like this:

1.2.3.4:/foo   /foo   nfs   auto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192   0   0
1.2.3.4:/bar   /bar   nfs   auto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192   0   0

(I've added "auto", after reading your reply, but that should be on by
default anyhow).  I've also attempted with "defaults" in the options
field, same results.  1.2.3.4 is SunOS 5.x box.

During the boot, I'm getting this error message on the console:

    mount: mount to NFS server '1.2.3.4' failed: server is down.
    netfs: Mounting NFS filesystems:  failed

When I log in and do "df" or "mount", I can see that /foo failed to
mount, and that /bar is mounted.  As I said, if I reverse order of lines
in fstab, than /bar fails, and /foo is mounted.  When I do "mount /foo",
it gets mounted, and I can use it normally.  It is just this very first
attempt of NFS mount that netfs fails to mount on boot, and after that
netfs mounts the rest of NFS file systems normally.

I've attempted unmounting /foo and /bar, and than rerunning "netfs
start", and it mounts both file systems.  So I would guess the problem
isn't with netfs script itself, but somewhere much deeper (kernel?).  Or
maybe some timing issue?