what font is used in login window?

Kevin Freeman kfreem02 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 15:53:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 19:46 -0800, Peter Scott wrote:
> I am using Fedora Core 1 (kernel-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl);
> the size of the font in the initial boot window and
> in the login window is sometimes large, sometimes small,
> seeming to vary randomly from one boot to the next.
>
> Does anyone know how this font is determined, and
> where it resides?

Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config (there may be a 3 or 4 in the filename).  Note
that this file is renamed /etc/X11/xorg.conf in FC2/3.

Go to the Monitor section and enter (or edit, if it exists) a line for:
        DisplaySize  320        240

Replace the numbers with the width and height of the visible portion of
your screen, in millimeters.  The numbers above are good for a typical
17" CRT (16" visible).

Due to the diversity of display devices, many X applications do not
hard-code fixed pixel sizes for graphics and text.  Instead they query
the X system for the monitor's dpi and draw their GUI as a percentage of
screen size.  If the dpi value is incorrect or missing (thus using a
default value) the output will not be optimal.

Kevin Freeman