re yum troubles

Peter Lesterhuis peterlesterhuis at tiscali.nl
Thu Nov 18 20:54:17 UTC 2004

Hi list,
Still having problems with yum.
When doing $ yum update> the following lines show up:

> $ yum update
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 30, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 163, in main
>     (log, errorlog, filelog, conf, cmds) = parseCmdArgs(args)
>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 75, in parseCmdArgs
>     conf=yumconf(configfile=yumconffile)
>   File "/usr/share/yum/config.py", line 48, in __init__
>     self.cfg.read(configfile)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/ConfigParser.py", line 263, in read
>     self._read(fp, filename)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/ConfigParser.py", line 456, in _read
>     raise MissingSectionHeaderError(fpname, lineno, `line`)
> ConfigParser.MissingSectionHeaderError: File contains no section headers.
> file: /etc/yum.conf, line: 1
> '\xef\xbb\xbf[main]\n'

Then I am asked to "update the headers on my system".

It suggests that there is something wrong with te first characters in
line 1in yum.conf, which should be only [main]. But this is not the case
as you can see.
$ less /etc/yum.conf

> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=redhat-release
> tolerant=1
> exactarch=1
> retries=20
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
>
> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>
> #[updates-testing]
> #name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing:
> /$releasever/$basearch/
>

> #[development]
> #name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/
>

> [freshrpms]
> name=Fedora Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
> baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms/
> gpgcheck=1
>

> [dag]
> name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core
> baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag/
> gpgcheck=1

It must have something to do with missing headers.
In   /usr/lib/python2.3/ConfigParser.py  I found a text giving clues to
the error message, but don't know what it all means.

> class MissingSectionHeaderError(ParsingError):
>     """Raised when a key-value pair is found before any section header."""
>

>     def __init__(self, filename, lineno, line):
>         Error.__init__(
>             self,
>             'File contains no section headers.\nfile: %s, line: %d\n%s' %
>             (filename, lineno, line))
>         self.filename = filename
>         self.lineno = lineno
>         self.line = line

How can I update the headers on my system?
Does anyone have a suggestion? Being a starter in Linux this is too
complicated for me.
Thanks, Peter.