General proc. for uninstalling software?

Giulio Sorrentino numerone.fedora at wooow.it
Thu Nov 18 21:30:04 UTC 2004

Hans Troost wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Since about a month a changed from Bill's OS's to Fedora, so I'm relatively
>new, but in the mean time learned a lot, thanks to this community.
>
>Fedora version: FC2 2.6.5-1.358smp
>
>So now with some experience I'm ready to make some personal choices about the
>program I will use in the future. So which one for mailing, one specific
>web-browser etc. etc.
>Since I'm working in the IT (but new to UNIX), I always try to keep my
>computers as clean as possible, so I now want to remove the software I do not
>longer use.
>
>Is there a general way to "uninstall" software and are there pitfalls I have
>to avoid (and how).
>
>Examples: I want to remove the whole XIMIAN stuff, I am happy with KMAIL, I
>want to remove the whole MOZILLA-suite and replace it by a web-browser-only
>program like Firefox and I want to remove a lot of other software I just
>installed to try and no longer use.
>
>My only installation experience up to now is with YUM (used update, install
>and search) and RPM -IVH. Not further experience nor in general nor with
>these programs.

Fedora include a centralized system for program
installation/deinstallation called RPM.
Calling RPM "a simply installation manager" is reductive, because it
trace all files, description of packages, name of the machine on which
it was compiled, home pages etc...
This manager can manage only "rpm files".
Fedora's CDs include only rpm packs.
Yum is a front end for managing the dependencies (the "hell of libraries").
For uninstalling package you simply need to run rpm -e <package name>.

For uninstalling package without care of libraries you need to run yum
remove <package name>.