removing old kernels

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 18 23:45:20 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Do, den 18.11.2004 schrieb Mark Bradford um 23:08:
>

>>I'm a linux newbie and currently have three kernels installed in FC2.
>>The issue is that the oldest I installed with rpm, the next with apt and
>>the most current, 2.6.9 using up2date.  I tried to remove the oldest
>>with rpm -e... but it won't uninstall because rpm thinks there is no
>>other kernel present on the system.  How do I backtrack and clean up my
>>mess?
>>
>>Mark
>>

>On the base line all kernels are installed by rpm (speaking about not
>self installs from sources, but using apt-rpm or up2date).
>
>Run "uname -r" to see which kernel is actually running. Maybe the kernel
>you tried to remove is running and not the latest. "rpm -qa | grep
>kernel | sort" will print you out all rpm installed kernels (along with
>kernel-utils package - don't erase those). Then uninstalling an old
>kernel, currently not used ist possible with "rpm -e
>kernel-VERSIONNUMBER".
>
>Alexander

When you get a new kernel, do not remove the next most recent kernel if
it proved stable. Always keep a known-stable kernel around as a backup
you can use.  A new kernel
might panic and die. With a backup kernel you can just select it from
the Grub menu and you are in good shape.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA